Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates (PCCA) a private practice intensivist group is hiring advanced practice
providers to work in the PCCA staffed and managed MICU, SICU, CVICU and neuroICU at UPMC Altoona.
UPMC Altoona, a 397-bed Level 2 Trauma Center for the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The APP will provide clinical support for the established, full service PCCA Intensivist programs in the MICU, SICU, CVICU and NeuroICU.
The APP will serve as a direct healthcare provider and an extension of the Intensivist. Responsibilities include
managing the care of critically ill patients, conducting advanced assessments and physical examinations,
routine rounds in the medical, surgical, cardiac surgery and neuroICUs, and performing invasive procedures
such as insertion of arterial and venous catheters.
The APP will be an employee of Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates (PCCA), a private practice Intensivist group. The four (4) Intensive Care Units are staffed and managed by PCCA and operate as true Intensivist programs, with the Intensivist serving as head of the multidisciplinary team, overseeing and managing all ICU patients, and working closely with trauma surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, pulmonary medicine physicians, cardiologists, CV surgeons, neurosurgeons and support staff.
• 40 ICU beds located in 4 separate units: 14-bed medical ICU; 12-bed surgical ICU; 7-bed cardiac surgery
ICU and 7-bed neuroICU
• Average patient load: 20-25 per shift
• High acuity patients
PCCA provides 24 hours of daily in-house Intensivist coverage:
• The units are staffed by two physicians and one APP during the day shift (7AM to 7PM), and one physician and one APP on evening shifts (7PM to 7AM)
• At 10PM, coverage is assumed by the APP, while the night shift Intensivist remains available by pager from the in-house call room until 7AM
• On the day shift, each Intensivist and APP is dedicated to either the Medical, Surgical, Cardiac Surgery or Neuro ICU.
• 12-hour block shifts: days 7am to 7pm and nights 7pm to 7am
• 26-weeks a year, 2,200 hours a year
• Rotating schedules of days, nights and weeks off
• The APPs have the flexibility to coordinate schedules with each other and choose to work blocks of days and nights and combinations of both provided that the schedule is coordinated with each other and the scheduling coordinator
The APPs will be employees of Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates, Inc a private physician group. Full-time APPs will work 2, 200 hours a year and will be paid an hourly rate. Any additional hours worked will be paid at the same hourly rate. In addition to the salary PCCA will provide a comprehensive benefits package, including malpractice, family health insurance up to $1,200 per month, employer-contributed retirement fund (pension plan), employee directed 401k plan, and reimbursable CME.
TUPMC Altoona is a 397-bed Level 2 Trauma Center and is currently an accredited stroke center. Surgical
services include trauma, neurosurgery, open heart (Center for Cardiac Care), orthopedic, and all basic surgical
specialties. The Emergency Department sees approximately 40,900 patients annually. Intensivist services are
provided by Pittsburgh Critical Care Associates in the 14-bed MICU, 12-bed SICU, 7-bed CVICU and 7-bed
UPMC Altoona has the largest service area in the state—serving over 20 counties in West-Central Pennsylvania, it is centrally located between Danville, Hershey, Johnstown, and State College. Penn State Milton Hershey Medical Center (2.5 hours east) and UPMC Presbyterian (2 hours west) are the closest comprehensive stroke centers.
Employees must live within 30 minutes driving distance to the hospital, which is located in downtown Altoona. Altoona is located in the Allegheny Mountains of Central Pennsylvania, about 40 minutes north of the PA Turnpike (via I-99). The greater Altoona area is easily accessible from several major metropolitan areas in the Northeast. Daily train service is provided from New York City and Philadelphia, directly into Altoona on Amtrak’s Pennsylvanian line. The Altoona-Blair County Airport provides commercial air service, offering daily flights to and from Washington Dulles International Airport. The Pennsylvania Turnpike also provides access from Pittsburgh (2 hours), Baltimore (3 hours), and Philadelphia (4 hours). The region features several familyfriendly suburban communities with high performing schools, safe neighborhoods, and affordable housing, including Hollidaysburg, Duncansville, Martinsburg, and Altoona.